Jan 25, 2013

Chocolate cake

Before we were married, I asked my husband how he ate his. And though he didn't know why, he felt this was some sort of a test. And he was right. For how could I marry a man who didn't share my love for such edible happiness? Thankfully he answered "with milk poured on top" and passed the test.

While it is true I have an incurable sweet tooth, my love for this desert goes deeper than the rich chocolatey flavor, moist crumb, and creamy fudge-like frosting. As I bake it I feel connected to my great-grandma, whose measuring cups and spoons I use to measure the ingredients. As my dad told us, she always had a pie or cake or some decadent baked good waiting in the kitchen for visitors to enjoy. As I whip the frosting, alternating between adding the milk and powdered sugar, I wish my dad were still here. I always took a spoon to him for testing--he would suggest "more sugar" or "a bit creamier" or " too stiff--needs more milk." Now that testing falls to me. I taste. Not enough sugar. I taste again, turning the smooth darkness over with my tongue. Just right.

As I dip the off-set spatula into warm water to begin spreading the frosting, I think of my husband who made the spinning cake stand I am using to help get that smooth surface. And I remember all the traditional "birthday bites" that happily mar the flawless frosting at each family birthday gathering. I wish Dad could have been here for my son's first birthday... He would have been proud at the gloriously messy way his grandson dispatched his " birthday bite"!

By the time my fork slides into the dense yet tender desert (yes, with milk poured on it!), I am awash with memory and emotion. I eat from the bottom first, and work my way, savoring each moist bite, from the center of the slice out. Saving the outside frosting for last. Just like Dad did.


5 comments:

  1. Good job, dear Amy! And, what wonderful memories you are creating - including those that have been passed down to you.

    I was thinking of your dad this week. I don't know why I had him on my mind. I just did. Such a good man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, as soon as I saw this title, it made me think of your dad. Chocolate cake is not chocolate cake without milk poured on top!
    Sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry. We love you guys. I'm so glad you had such a good relationship with your dad, and have such rich memories. Happy caking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay now I need some cake. But...um...milk poured on top? I have never heard of that in my life! Sounds like I must be missing out on something great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) AND, you are a wonderful writer!

    ReplyDelete